Now that CBD oil is becoming popularized and more mainstream, we’re starting to see it in a lot of different products. This includes the beauty industry, where CBD oil has become a hugely successful and trendy skin-care ingredient due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Here’s all you need to know about hemp-derived beauty practices.
The majority of cannabis-infused beauty products contain cannabidiol (CBD), the non-psychoactive cannabinoid that is found in both cannabis and industrial hemp. Its antibacterial and antioxidant properties calm inflammation, soothe skin irritation and sunburns, fight acne, and moisturize without clogging pores. CBD oil is also rich in vitamins A, C, and E, which stimulate collagen and other cells that are responsible for keeping your skin firm and healthy. (Source)
“Epsom salt baths have long been used as a way to absorb magnesium through the skin to help relax and ease tired and sore muscles,” explains Dr. NavNirat Nibber ND., a medical advisor for Advanced Orthomolecular Research in Canada. “Similarly, researchers seem to be exploring the immediate and localized benefits that come from transdermal absorption (absorption through the skin) with CBD. [Since]
transdermal absorption is thought to be more localized, anti-inflammatory benefits associated with CBD will likely be felt at the site of absorption through the skin.”
What kinds of products are out there?
From skin oils to mascara, the CBD beauty industry boasts an impressive array of products to try.
- Pain Relief: It can be found in the form of lotions, balms, and salves to relieve aches and pains from different ailments such as muscle soreness, eczema, and psoriasis. Pain management products continue to be highly popular in the realm of CBD beauty.
- Reducing Acne: There are several different products in the CBD beauty category to improve your skin’s complexion. A recent study conducted in 2014 by the National Center for Biotechnology Information shows that CBD may regulate the skin’s oil production, thus reducing breakouts. (Source)
- Cramps: Amazingly, there are beauty products that help with period cramps. Here’s a quote from Rachel Chen, a YouTube Content Strategist: “After rubbing the [CBD] lotion on the cramping hot spots… I felt an instant relief — far beyond the initial chilling sensation.”
- Deep Moisture: Is your skin feeling dry? Consider trying CBD beauty oils! There are several different brands of facial oils made from the cannabis sativa seed (hemp) oil that soothe and hydrate to your skin.
- Bath Soak Treatments: The CBD beauty industry offers a variety of bath salts, bombs, and soaps to relieve joint pain and soothe sore muscles. Life Elements founder Martha Van Inwegen, whose company makes widely-praised CBD bath bomb, describes the many different customers who use her products to get through body pain. “Retired military vets have used them to calm their bodies so they can get a good night’s sleep. Professional athletes use them as an integral part of the recovery regime. The elderly are using CBD bath bombs to help with arthritis, busy moms are using it to relax at the end of the day, couples use them to enjoy a romantic bath together, and yogis use them to give them more flexibility … the uses are endless!”
Although cannabis has become much more normalized in society, there is still a lot of stigma and negativity surrounding the plant. If you’re hesitant about using cannabis, trying hemp-derived beauty products can be a great, non-intimidating way to experience the many benefits of CBD oil.